Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Geoff Barrow (Portishead) on John Sharp


Sad to hear about death, but even worse that most probably did not know or recognize John Sharp's contributions, myself included. Especially since Massive Attack's Blue Lines album is considered a classic IMO.

via Portishead blog



John Sharp 1964 – 2009

I was lucky enough to work with John over a few years. I first met him when he was producing and writing Blue Lines with Massive Attack at the Coach House when I was a tea boy: later I got to know him as a friend and a mentor.
The enormity of his influence and ideas on British music is sadly never likely to be acknowledged.

His influence on me was ginormous and he will be missed.

Our thoughts are with his family.

Geoff Barrow

2 comments:

thescenestar said...

Is there a press release? I can't find anything about his death and would love to post something about him on our web page. Thanks Geoff for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Here is a press release:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/jonny-dollar-musician-and-producer-whose-work-with-massive-attack-pioneered-the-genre-of-trip-hop-1707860.html